The Very First Engine House

Commissioned: 1780

Speaking of a period around 1780, Thomas B. Akin noted that "the Artillery Park was then kept on the Grand Parade; the Artillery Barracks stood in a line with the late engine house." (Akin 1895, p. 218) In 1833, the Firewards corroborated Akin’s statement in their minutes, adding that it stood on the Southwest corner of Grand Parade (Halifax Firewards meeting minutes 1804-1835). For how long the engine house stood there is unknown, but as of the earliest available minutes of the Union Engine Company, there was an engine house standing in that location, although it may have been a newer building. The minutes also mentioned that the building had a wood stove in it. (Union Fire Engine Company fonds 1789-1807).

Nova Scotia Archives. 1789-1807. "Union Fire Engine Company fonds." RG 1. Vol. 503½. Halifax, Nova Scotia.
Nova Scotia Archives. 1804-1835. "Halifax Firewards meeting minutes." RG 1. Vol. 502. Halifax, Nova Scotia.

Have more information?