1906 – On April 2nd 1904, the city purchased the property known as “The Little Fuel Yard” on the Southeast corner of Bedford Row and Prince St. The current house for the waterfront being used at the time was a small section of the Market Building near the corner of Bedford Row and George St. No longer used as a market, the current owner allowed the fire department to house their Division #4, known as “The Waterfront Protection Boys” along with their Engine #4, the steamer Halifax, in the failing and dilapidated building. Construction on the replacement house began in late 1905 and by May 1906 the finest station in the city was opened. Eventually this house would house not only the steamer, Halifax, along with horse drawn chemical engines and hose carts, but the very first motorized aerial ladder in Canada. Remaining in service until 1969, this house closed on May 1st due to the opening of the newest West St station along with the better response to the downtown because of the capabilities of more modern apparatus.
Architects fees were debated before payment was finally made. It had been agreed upon that the architect, Richard Arthur Johnson, would be paid $500.00 based on the building being built for under $10,000.00. After much discussion an additional $441.70 was paid to architect to compensate for the almost doubling of the construction costs.
A concrete floor was poured in 1931, to accommodate the existing motorized apparatus.