Argyle Street

Commissioned: 1856

Decommissioned: 1864

1856 – Near the most Southern end of Argyle on the West side of the street, construction began on a firehouse to house the Axe Fire Company. A hook and ladder company, these men were used on scene to ladder the upper windows and roofs as well as to tear down structures as required. Their equipment being somewhat specialized, this company required its own house to keep their ladders and hand tools in good repair and protected from the elements. At 16’ street frontage by 30’ deep this new house was exactly what was required. It was to remain in service until at least 1864. 

Have more information?